Welcome back to the Wild At Heart Podcast! On this week’s episode, I’m sitting down with the amazing Stacey Krolow from Stacey Krolow Photography to talk all about choosing your perfect wedding photographer. We’ll be chatting about why on earth you might be seeing such varying pricing from photographers, the truth about Pinterest and our shared love of unconventional weddings.
To download Stacey’s ‘Unconventional Brides Guide to an Engagement Session’ click here. It’s filled with lots of cool ideas to plan an awesome engagement shoot that’s truly authentic to you!
Wedding photographers are often some of the most in-demand vendors when it comes to wedding planning. There is a wide range of styles, prices and quality of service, and choosing your perfect wedding photographer is among the first steps in planning your big day. [00:01:32]
The first step I usually like to recommend to couples when researching local wedding photographers is to determine which style of photography you most naturally gravitate towards. [00:04:42]
But what is style? A style of photography can mean either the way a photographer captures a moment or the method in which they edit their photos. Some photographers prefer to shoot light and airy, crisp and clean wedding photos while other specialize in dark and moody, romantic and more emotional photography. [00:05:22]
The best way to get an idea of which style a photographer prefers to shoot is by searching out key words such as editorial, lifestyle, light, airy, moody etc. in a photographer’s blog. [00:06:32]
You can also look at a photographer’s portfolio on their website but also on their blog. A full gallery of wedding images will give you a much better ideal of the overall quality and style of a photographer’s work, rather than a few of their best photos that they’ve hand selected to show you. You may also learn more about the personality of the photographer by searching through their blog posts. [00:08:02]
Once you’ve chosen your top two photographers, Stacey recommends meeting with them for a casual face-to-face to make sure you have chemistry before your wedding day. [00:11:33]
The next component to choosing your photographer is pricing and what to expect when budgeting for wedding photography. Prices in Kamloops can range from $500.00 to $5,000.00, but here are some tips to navigate the pricing differences and the value of work for each:
- A photographer with higher prices will generally have more years of experience and will operate their business as a career, rather than a part-time job or hobby. This means they will have more experience shooting in all types of conditions (very sunny, cloudy, rainy etc.) and will be better prepared to capture the moments that mean the most to you. [00:15:22]
- Engagement photos may be included in a photography package and increase the value. These are great opportunities to develop and strengthen the chemistry between you and your photographer so that you feel comfortable around them on your wedding day.
- Second shooters are often also included in photography packages and can come at an additional cost. They are wonderful to have if you would like detail photos and getting ready photos in different locations.
- An experienced photographer will usually do some local scouting ahead of your engagement shoot or wedding day to ensure some beautiful and creative photos.
- The amount of photos taken by the photographer will also determine the cost of their package because of the time required to cull and edit them. A good photographer aiming to capture candid moments may take upwards of several thousand photos and the time required to sort and edit the perfect photos is also included in the cost/value of their photography package.
- Experienced photographers may limit the amount of clients they take in a wedding season to ensure that they produce very creative work or have the time of dedicate to their couples. A photographer charging less for photography may need to book more than one wedding per weekend.
- Last but not least, photographers have to maintain their equipment and gear to continue to produce stunning photos and to keep up with trends. If a photographer is charging under the average price for packages, it may be that they will be using the same few lenses rather than having a wide range of equipment to choose from.
Once you’ve chosen your perfect photographer, it can be tempting to search for beautiful wedding photos on Pinterest, but Stacey recommends using those images as inspiration rather than a guide for your photographer. Those photos are beautiful because they represent couples in real moments and re-creating those moments can be very difficult for reasons like weather conditions, locations, clothing, physical features etc. Our best tip is to trust and work with your photographer and other incredible vendors to create your own Pinterest-worthy photos that other brides will want to ‘Pin’ someday! [00:24:32]
Stacey’s best tip after you’ve received your digital wedding photos from your photographer is to print them or to display them, as a well of preserving memories and creating an experience for everyone who looks at them. The best place to print digital images professional resources that your photographer recommends